Friday, October 5, 2018

RonnieAdventure #0328 - SeaQuest 2018, Las Vegas, NV



What do you do with an old mall that Macy's and Dillard's moved out of? Since the rent is fairly cheap for a lot of indoor space, it is the ideal place for a "SeaQuest Interactive Aquarium!" You typically do not think of an aquarium in the middle of a desert, but it is a nice addition to "The Entertainment and Convention Capital of the World."




















As many times as I have tried, I have never been able to take a good picture of a jellyfish. However, I learned something new - jellyfish change colors, depending on the food they eat!




The aquarium has a lot of different tanks, with a lot of different types of fish, most of which I have seen before; but do not remember their names.











The bioluminescence exhibits were actually a lot more spectacular than they appear in the pictures. 









You could also have your picture taken with a real live mermaid!




I'm not sure why they always have reptiles in aquariums, because reptiles are my least favorite exhibits. (I'm like Indiana Jones -- I hate snakes! I was not going to include any pictures of reptiles, but at the last minute I changed my mind.)

Asian Water Monitor
Boa Constrictor
Burmese Python
It is amazing how many Koi can fit together in one tank!


I also have a real dislike for eels -- they remind me of snakes!

When we were living in Hawaii, one Saturday afternoon several of us decided to swim out to Black Island. (Black Island is the small, flat island just in front of Rabbit Island on the east side of Oahu.) As it turned out, Black Island was a lot farther from the shore of Oahu than it looked when we were standing on the beach and we did not realize that there was a current in the channel. Anyway, we finally made it to Black Island and split up to just enjoy the underwater scenery. While snorkeling along with my face down I was surprised when something almost brushed my arm. Then I realized it was a large, fat Moray Eel that was about 5-feet long. I think we scared each other because the eel immediately stopped, backed into a hole in a rock, and peered out of the hole at me with its mouth open. I was just about able to walk on water. After swiftly moving to a new location, my heart was still beating rapidly when I look to my right and about 10 feet away there was a school of Barracuda - and they all kept looking at me like they hadn't had lunch. Needles to say, I decided it was time to get out of the water and sunbath on the rocks. I finally regrouped with the other people and with renewed energy I think I was the first one back to the shore of Oahu!







Most people have heard about the butcher that backed into a meat grinder and got a little behind in his work; but many people are not aware of the SeaQuest employee that went to swim with the Dolphins and got into the Piranha tank by mistake!



I always enjoy watching the seahorses because their tank typically has a fairly swift current (for seahorses), so the little seahorses have to wrap their tail around something in order to just stay in one place.



There is also a large aviary that you can enter and take some close-up pictures of the birds. One bird kept sitting in my hair, but fortunately he did not have to relieve himself.




Lorikeet
 And, of course, you exit the exhibits into a well stocked gift shop. (Fortunately, we did not have our grandchildren along on this trip, so we did not leave a contribution at the cash register!)





No comments:

Post a Comment