Friday, December 21, 2012

RonnieAdventure #0033 – Peoples Canyon, Yavapai County, Arizona

When I received an invitation from the property owner to accompany him and several other people on a trip through Peoples Canyon in northwest Arizona, how could I decline the offer! Peoples Canyon is a privately owned in-holding within the Arrastra Mountain Wilderness Area, surrounded by State and Federal lands; thus, permission from the land owner is required to make this hike.

The weather was projected to be clear and sunny with temperatures in the mid-to-high 70s -- What a great time for a RonnieAdventure! Since a number of people were invited on the outing, it was decided to meet at a small dirt trail that runs west from US Highway 93 about 30 miles south of Wikieup. I was the only one that had not previously made the hike, but I was assured that the dirt trail was easy to find.

The morning of the hike I arrived in the general area about 15 minutes late and, of course, could not find the dirt trail or any of the other hikers. I decided that I needed to travel a little farther south, so I continued on my journey but did not find a dirt trail until I had traveled about five miles. Then, when I did locate a dirt trail, it was blocked by a locked gate. I continued searching the area, but no other dirt trails could be found. So, I presumed everyone must have left without me and decided to head for home.

As I passed the original area where we were to meet, I happened to notice some vehicles parked in a dry wash about 500 feet distant from the highway. Instinctively, I turned around and noticed a small dirt trail leading to the dry wash that was partially concealed by Palo Verde Trees, which kept me from seeing the dirt trail the first time I passed by the area. Traveling down the dry wash, I found everyone waiting for me, wondering where I had been. So much for meeting by the highway!

Fortunately, I was driving a Chevy Blazer because the three miles from the highway to the trail head was over a really, really nasty dirt trail that required a high-clearance 4-WD vehicle. We decided that from the wilderness boundary trailhead we would make about a five mile hiking loop that would enter Peoples Canyon about a mile upstream from the springs we were looking for so that we could see some Native American pictographs painted on the ceiling of a cave.

The trip through the canyon was spectacular and we were surprised at the amount of water flowing from the springs in mid-December. The only bad thing about hiking to the springs was that it was all downhill from the trailhead, so the trip out was all uphill! However, the hike out was very enjoyable because Peoples Canyon is located in the Sonoran Desert, which has substantially different plant materials than the Mojave Desert around Las Vegas.

Except for scraping the bottom of the vehicle on a few rocks on the way out, and adding some desert pin-stripping to the paint job, the trip home was uneventful. Now, I just have to return again when I have more time to explore the surrounding area.
 
Trail to Peoples Canyon
  
Peoples Canyon
  
Native American Pictographs
 
Peoples Canyon
 
Peoples Canyon
 
Peoples Canyon
 
Peoples Canyon
 
Peoples Canyon
 
Peoples Canyon
 
Peoples Canyon
 
Staghorn Cholla Cactus
 
Hiker On Trail Out / Saguaro Cactus
 
Palo Verde Tree
 
Prickly-Pear Cactus


1 comment:

  1. Wow, dad! These are beautiful photos. Looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete