Friday, September 15, 2023

RonnieAdventures #0585 - Zion Narrows Hike, Zion National Park, Utah

Zion Narrows is probably one of my favorite hikes. I have hiked the lower part of the canyon from the bottom-up several times, but only from the top-down once. The hike from the top-down is 16 miles in length and is often done as a two-day hike. 

I was not a scoutmaster at the time, but I was traveling with a group of Boy Scouts and they wanted to make the hike as a one-day event. I would not recommend doing the hike in one day because there are too many things to see and do to along the way down. 

We did the hike in the fall when the water level in the river was low, so for the first 4-5 miles we did not even have to get our feet wet. However, by the time we reached the Upper Narrows, the canyon started to become very narrow and the only way through was to walk in the water. 

After about 9 miles there is a confluence with Deep Creek and the water depth in the stream increases substantially. After that point 2/3 of the river water volume is from Deep Creek. It was at this point that I put my camera in a waterproof bag and only removed it occasionally to take pictures. By the time we arrived at Big Springs (11 miles), everyone was cold and tired; so I did not take any additional pictures until we finished the hike. 











































No comments:

Post a Comment