Friday, July 12, 2019

RonnieAdventure #0368 - Spring Mountains - Historic Wheeler Pass Coke Ovens, Nevada


The east side of the Spring Mountain range is heavily used year-round because of the close proximity and easy access from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area. However, only a fraction of the people visit the west side of the range due to its remoteness and it requires going around the mountains either to the north or south to reach the west side. The only two trails across the mountain range require four-wheel drive and each trail takes a long time to travel.

When I was younger, one of my Bucket List items was to climb Mt. Charleston from the west side, but there are no established trails from the west; so it would have required bush-wacking cross-country. However, since I have gotten older and smarter, that item has been dropped from my bucket list.

Also on my bucket List was a visit to some historic coke ovens located on the west side of the range, so several years ago we made the trip. Much to my surprise, I actually found the ovens on my first attempt.












I had originally planed to continue past the coke ovens and cross the mountain range at Wheeler Pass to get back to Las Vegas, but there were so many beautiful flowers blooming, and I stopped to take so many pictures, I ended up just backtracking to get home.

























BONUS PICTURE

One day when I was leaving my house I happened to look up and noted an aerial skywriter's work of art. I entitled this picture "Look up for Love in Las Vegas."





1 comment:

  1. You latest adventure in the Spring Mountains at the coke ovens reminded me of seeing my first ones in the Panamint Mountains in Death Valley NP (was a NM at the time). I had never heard of such things and had no idea what they were for. In DVNP they are called Charcoal Kilns. Its not as much of an adventure since you can drive right up to them. Fred

    ReplyDelete