Friday, September 8, 2017

Ronnie_Adventure #0272 - The Total Solar Eclipse (August 21, 2017)

Picture by Jack Sneddon
After we arrived home, our insurance company informed us that the person who ran into us in Idaho did not have a valid insurance policy - Great!

We started processing the accident under our collision policy, then our insurance company called back and said that they made a mistake and the person that hit us did have insurance; so we needed to work with his insurance company to get our vehicle repaired. First step, get a fee quote for the repairs.

The local collision repair facility sent a repair cost to the insurance company and informed us that it would take about two weeks to repair our vehicle. I reminded the collision repair facility that the vehicle had to be repaired no later than mid-August because we planned to be in Wyoming to see the total solar eclipse. They assured us that they could easily meet that date. First mistake - We told them we did not need a rental vehicle because we were planning to be in town for the next two weeks.

About a week later I called our collision representative to see how repairs were progressing. No answer, so I left a message to call back. Over the next week I called our representative about five times and left messages to call back, but no return calls.

I finally called the insurance company directly and they informed me that they had not authorized the repair costs because were considering totaling the vehicle. They said that they would get back to me! I explained that 10 days before the accident I had purchased four new 70,000 mile Michelin truck tires (18-inch truck tires are not cheap), tuned up the engine (including new spark plugs, also not cheap), installed new exhaust manifolds and two new catalytic converters (nothing is cheap), new rear axle seals, bearings, and parking brakes shoes, for a total of $6,000; and I expected to be reimbursed for the repair costs if they totaled the vehicle. That did not go over real well!

After a number of discussions, the insurance company decided that they would fix our vehicle. Again, I reminded them that I need the vehicle repaired in time to travel north to see the total eclipse. I was assured that this would be no problem.

After numerous calls over the next few weeks with no returns, I finally drove down to the collision center and said that I wanted to speak to the manager. Surprisingly, the manager agreed that I had not received very good service and they informed me that my service rep was no longer with the company. Unfortunately, they also informed me that the damage to my vehicle was more severe than they realized and due to a bent frame that needed to be straightened I would not receive my vehicle in time to see the total eclipse. I asked for a replacement vehicle and they informed me that they could give me a replacement pickup, but it would not have an extended cab or box cover. I explained that I couldn't carry my suitcases in an open pickup box, so we finally negotiated for a SUV that they obtained from a local car rental company.

After two long days of hard driving, we arrived at my cousin's house in Boise, Idaho, which was only 60 miles from the total eclipse line. (Since our trailer was still in northern Idaho near the Canadian border, my gracious cousin invited us to stay at her house.)

The morning of the eclipse, we drove up to Weiser, with very light traffic on the road, and found a nice parking space by an elementary school with a large playground. After a few games of cards, it was time for the eclipse!




After the total eclipse was over, we drove over to the main viewing area (where the bulk of the people were located) for lunch and to purchase a few T-shirts. We followed some back roads on the return trip to Boise and made it home in about two hours.






While we were staying with my cousin in Meridian (just west of Boise) we visited the unBound Technology Library and learned how to use Tinkercad Basis and do 3-D printing. The facility is heavily used by teenagers that make Star Wars and comic book figures, so they all thought it was amazing that some old grandparents would come down to the Technology Library and use the equipment.




The last time I was in Nampa, the Warhawk Air Museum was closed; so this time I checked the times before I drove over there.

The 40,000 square-foot museum has a variety of WWI, WW II, Korean, and Vietnam aircraft and a large collection of memorabilia. One could easily spend all day in this museum.


P-51D Mustang
Curtiss P-40N Warhawk
Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk
North American F-86 Sabre
Mikoyan-Gurevich MIG-17
Mikoyan-Gurevich MIG-21
Lockheed F-104A Starfighter
The Old Idaho Penitentiary is an interesting place to visit, but I would not want to live there - especially when it was fully operational. There were four prisoners per cell, except for the solitary confinement section, which was a very small room with very little light. Apparently, some prisoners killed themselves or went crazy before they could get out! The hanging room was on the second floor and had a trap door that dropped the person into a small chamber on the first floor. 







Sam Bruner (#723) gained "Trusty" status and was allowed to work in the steam power plant outside of the penitentiary walls. On December 30, 1901, Sam Bruner and the fastest prison horse, Old Selam, turned up missing. Sam Bruner and Old Selam were never seen again.


In October 1903 Charles Smith (#942) ran away while working outside the penitentiary walls. His tracks led to the Boise River, where it was assumed that he had drowned. In 1940, Smith turned himself in to the police department in Coeur d'Alene to "ease his conscience."


Caddie Shoup's (#1146) lover promised to marry her, but then he moved in with another woman instead. Feeling betrayed, she killed her lover in the bathtub and then tried to make it look like a suicide. The jurors found her guilty, but they felt sorry for her, so she was only given a three year, one month, one day sentence for voluntary manslaughter. 


Also located at the penitentiary is the extensive J.C. Earl weapons exhibit. 




Adjacent to the Penitentiary is the Idaho Museum of Mining & Geology that contains a piece of the oldest known rock in the world. The rock has been age-dated at 3.962 billion years old and was discovered on an island in the Acasta River, Northwest Territories, Canada. 





The College of Western Idaho Horticulture Technology Greenhouse is also located adjacent to the penitentiary, but it was late in the day when we arrived and they were just closing; so I had to settle for a few pictures of their outdoor gardens. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment