Friday, June 12, 2015

RonnieAdventure #0156 - Old Town Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico


When I learned that I had to be in Albuquerque for a conference, I thought that this would be a great opportunity for several new RonnieAdventures. Little did I know how how many tourist attractions close early!

After the conference, I asked the front desk clerk where the local "hot spots" were located and the clerk gave me a strange look and said, "Sir, this is Albuquerque, not Las Vegas! Tourist attractions close between 4-5 PM, stores close between 5-6 PM, and the restaurants that do stay open in the evening close between 8-9 PM. By 10 PM they turn off all of the City lights and roll up the streets." (I later learned that he exaggerated the last part.) We were not too far from Old Town Albuquerque, so that seemed like a logical place to have dinner.

Old Town Albuquerque is the original settlement that was founded by the Spanish in 1706. A church was constructed in 1719 under the direction of Fray Manuel Moreno and named San Francisco Xavier after the Viceroy of New Spain; however, the name was soon changed to San Felipe de Neri after King Philip of Spain. 

The original building collapsed in 1792 after a heavy rainstorm and the current structure was built in 1793. A convent for the Sisters of Charity was added to the west side of the Church in 1881.



(Carved in the trunk of a large Cottonwood Tree)


The Church is located on the north side of a central Plaza, surrounded by old adobe buildings that have now been converted into restaurants and souvenir shops. Although many of the shops were closed on the evening of our visit, it was still fun to walk around Old Town Albuquerque and enjoy the sights and have dinner. 

Since most things were closed during this visit, I decided that I would have to return again when I had more tome to have additional RonnieAdventures!
















No comments:

Post a Comment